Davy Wotton is here to break out a step x step guide to getting started fly fishing wet flies. We break down each step today in a systematic fashion so you know exactly how to fish wet flies like a pro.
Davy shares the perfect rod, line and leader as well as his top 20 wet flies of all time. Davy notes that the dry line is the goto line but that you should have an intermediate line as part of your gear.
Click below and listen to the Davy Wotton Podcast on Fishing Wet Flies:
Part 1 – Davy Wotton was first on the podcast in Episode 35 and covered wet fly fishing here.
Sponsors and Podcast Updates
Show Notes – Fishing Wet Flies with Davy Wotton
04:20 – Check out the ultimate wet fly fishing blog post that includes many of the steps that aren’t written down in this blog post.
06:50 – Davy notes some of the wet fly fishing and tying group. The classic wet fly tyers group is one good example.
15:00 – Clear amnesia is what davy uses for building his leaders.
39:30 – Wet Fly Ways is the great DVD that covers all of Davy’s best tips on wet fly fishing.
1:24:50 – I had a great podcast with Dave Whitlock, one of Davy’s best friends.
1:30:50 – I noted the drift boat series that we have going.
You can find Davy at DaveWottonFlyFishing.com
14 Tips on Fishing Wet Flies for Trout
- You should either match the hatch or use attractors
- Understand how the fish are taking the wet fly
- Understand what the fish are feeding on so you can match
- Use rod movement and retrieve to make wet fly come to life
- 2 casts – upstream dead drift or slightly up and across
- The more you eliminate fly line off the water the better.
- Longer leaders help you keep line off of the water (at least 12’)
- Never allow your 3 flies to track in a straight line
- work on fish closest to you first
- Reading water is key based on time of year, water temperature, DO levels
- Types of wet flies – Imitative in nature vs attractor patterns
- spider vs soft hackle – body is the big difference with sparse spider
- Use the 3 turn surgeons knot and the davy knot. all you need
- Tie your fly off the lower surgeons knot thread
Resources on Fishing Wet Flies
Videos on Fishing Wet Flies Noted in the Show
Top 20 Flies for Davy Wotton
- March Brown winged or soft hackle
- Hares ear winged or soft hackle
- Black gnat
- blue dun
- dark Cahill
- lead coachman
- light Cahill
- Quill gordon
- wickham fancy
- ginger quill
- Parterigd and orange
- Green wills glory
- Peter ross
- water hen blower
- Muldler daddy
- Watsons fancy
Read the Full Podcast Transcript Below
“The more you eliminate fly line off the water, the better.”
Conclusion – Fishing Wet Flies with Davy Wotton
Davy Wotton is here to produce another amazing podcast episode on fishing wet flies with a focus on caddis hatches. We find out how emerges hatch and how you can match this hatch under the surface.
Find out why a soft tip rod is key, why you need an intermediate line and the exact formula to create your leader and cast of flies. This is the ultimate wet fly fishing step x step podcast. We find out how to know how deep to go with your bug.