We dive into Blue Water fly fishing and get into the history of steelhead in this amazing show. In this episode 006 of the Fly Fishing Show I had the pleasure of interviewing one of the biggest people in the history of steelhead fly fishing, Trey Combs.
Trey wrote one of the early books on the history of steelhead fishing and flies and has done a lot of other amazing stuff in his fly fishing career that we cover today.
We get into a bunch of big topics including the issues with the Thompson River steelhead decline, talk about his mentors, discuss steelhead fly fishing history, two handed rods plus some of his new fly patterns.
Click below to listen to the Podcast with Trey Combs:
Sponsors and Podcast Updates
Show Notes with Trey Combs
- 3:10 – Ted Trublood was the person who showed Trey his first steelhead.
- 4:05 – Jim Green worked at Fenwick in the early days and provided Trey his first rod.
- 8:00 – Dave notes an article on 13 steelhead lost
- 13:00 – Wild River Press
- 13:20 – Thompson River Steelhead decline
- 15:47 – The Steelhead Trout – The first book published by Frank Amato
- 17:20 – Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies
- 20:00 – Forest and Stream – The magazine Trey used to get a lot of his information for his first books.
- 22:48 – Blue Water Fly Fishing book
- 26:10 – Achored podcast with Trey Combs where Try talks about the boat story
- 32:00 – The Atlantic Salmon by Lee Wulff – This book transitioned steelhead fishing into another level.
- 52:50 – Harry Lemire was a big influence for Trey
- 57:20 – Greased Line Fishing
- 59:03 – The Night Dancer – One of Trey’s favorite flies for summer steelhead.
- 1:00:00 – Winters Hope Fly Pattern – The silver and purple is best combination for off color water.
- 1:00:54 – Steel Flash Flies – Trey’s new pattern with red eyes that has high visibility.
- 1:02:00 – Trey provides a great tip to focus on one run and learn that run very well as opposed to floating many miles and fishing each run just a little.
- 1:05:50 – Zane Grey
If you would like to get the Steelhead Tips PDF Quick Guide that lists some of the best tips from my guests click on the button below:
You can reach Trey by email here: email@example.com or by phone at: 509-369-1025.
I wanted to give a big thanks to Trey for coming on the show today. We covered a lot of great information but have a lot more to get into next time.
Trey gave us something that steelhead fly fishing didn’t have before his work. He put it on the books, literally, and help launch it out for many new passionate fly fishers to come.
And if you’re interested in the right spey rod for steelhead, Click here to see the Echo Spey Rod that has helped me improve my spey cast and find more steelhead at a super reasonable cost. By the way, this link above is an affiliate link, which means I earn a commission if you do end up purchasing through that link. It’s at no extra cost to you, and please if you have any questions related to this product, please let me know and I’d be happy to answer them for you.