La Pescadora Fly Fishing Lodge – Mexico
Saltwater Flats Fishing for the Big 3
Join Dave from the Wet Fly Swing Podcast on this hosted trips to one of the great salt water destinations in the world.
Do you need a break from the daily grind for some tropical air and the grace of casting for salt water species?
Maybe you live where it rains a little too much and you need a place to rejuvenate you for the rest of the year?
La Pescadora offers easy access to the vast flats of Ascension Bay as well as the inland lagoons and river system located on the mainland.
You will start each morning by walking 50 feet from your cabin to your panga to begin your day of fishing. This fishery is renown as one of the finest locales in the world of saltwater fishing to throw a fly at a super-slam at almost any time of the year.
We cannot guarantee you will hook a bonefish, permit, tarpon, and snook every day on the water, but these game fish are here on a year-round basis. La Pescadora’s guides are serious permit hunters, so while there are plenty bonefish, many anglers at La Pescadora are there to target permit. Every guide at La Pescadora grew up in the area and is hand picked by owner and head guide Jose, who typically rotates through the week to fish with every guest at the lodge.
Your trip will include:
- 3 – 8 days of Guided Fishing
- Comfortable cabins located 50’ from the shore
- Delicious authentic meals
- Professional homegrown guides
- World Class Saltwater Fishing
The lodge was recently constructed and features 4 double occupancy cabins located alongside the main lodge. Each cabin comes equipped with private bathroom, 2 full sized beds, air-conditioning, ceiling fan, and a small private deck off the front that overlooks the ocean.
Whether you are new to saltwater fishing or an experienced angler, Ascension Bay offers strong fishing scenarios for every level. You can stalk solid numbers of bonefish in skinny water, head into the backcountry mangrove lagoons for baby tarpon and snook, or hunt for the elusive permit on the flats and the deeper waters that surround the flats.
The guides will pole classic 23-foot Mexican style panga boats, scanning for all of these different species. Once they are located – if the water is shallow enough – you will often slip out of the boat with the guide to stalk the fish on foot. This allows anglers to get much closer to the fish without spooking everything, and often-times results in numerous shots to the same fish.
These pangas are very seaworthy, super comfortable in rough seas, easy to pole in shallow waters, and have for decades served the region’s fishermen and guides. One of our favorite traits of Ascension Bay is the fact that you can typically find fish no matter what the weather is doing. Yes, we all want bright sunny days with low winds, but challenging conditions and overcast skies can present themselves from time to time.
Despite the weather and conditions, the guides at La Pescadora are great at putting you on fish in virtually any situation. We can say this from experience! The lagoons and the Boca located in the back of Ascension Bay allows for protection from the wind. The fish tend to feed well in this area as well, due to the increased freshwater in the system and an abundance of food. This is a wonderful fishery that is often overlooked by many guides in the area.
At La Pescadora, they usually utilize a head guide as well as a young apprentice in each panga. This formula helps very much when wading with two fishermen, as each angler will have his or her own personal wade guide. When learning to cast or searching for fish, one guide poles and the other is often-times with the angler on the casting platform. Please note that this two-guide program does not apply to summer months or to trips booked under special discount rates.
Getting there is as easy as it gets for a saltwater fishing adventure.. Fly to Cancun where you will be greeted by a representative of La Pescadora, and then shuttled out to the lodge.
The driving portion of the transfer is around two hours. The remainder of the transfer is typically by boat through the Boca Paila Lagoon. This boat ride is approximately one hour long, and passes directly through “Permit Alley.” If the weather is rough or rainy, you may be transferred by van directly to the Lodge, which makes the total time from Cancun approximately four hours.
Suggested Gear List:
- Copy of passport
- Wallet / Cash for tips and bar tab/ Cell Phone/chargers/computer
- Fly Rods, 7,8,9 wt. rods with floating lines
- Fly Reels, 200 to 300 yards of 30 lb. backing
- Leaders – 6 of 9’ 0x Fluorocarbon
- Leaders – 2 Tarpon Leaders 60 lb. shock tippet, you can use straight 50 lb. for a leader on tarpon and it works great also.
- Tippet – 1 spool 0x, 1 spool of 1x Fluoro , and 4 pieces of 40, 60 and 80 lb. shock, two 30 lb steel leaders for barracuda.
- Flies – We will share list of saltwater flies for this particular trip
- Pliers – needle nose or hemostats with wire cutter.
- Fanny pack for wading flats (to carry flies, water bottle etc when walking away from boat on the flats.
- Wading booties for saltwater. (run 50 to 100$)
- Wading socks
- Snorkel gear – fun if you have never done it. (optional)
- Long pants – thin quick drying stuff to cover a sunburn if needed.
- Fishing shirts
- Rain coat – for boat ride (mandatory)
- Fishing or sun hat. – to keep the sun off face and ears
- UV Buff – covers face if needed
- Flip flops or comfortable shoes
- Underwear / socks
- Polarized fishing glasses (2 pair)
- Optical cloth or cleaner
- Lip balm
- Bug spray – only needed at night if it is calm – a few mosquitos will be out.
- Camera and battery charging equipment.
- Waterproof boat bag or duffle for boat.
- Note Pad / phone to make journal entry of each day.
Includes/ Does not Include:
- Ground and water transfers to and from Cancun
- Number of nights of lodging as specified in your package
- Number of days of guided fishing as specified in your package
- Three meals per day
- All bottled water, coffee, tea, and juice
- Wi-Fi access
- Sian Ka’an Reserve entrance fees
- All applicable Mexican VAT and hotel taxes
Does Not Include:
- Gratuity for guide and staff
Why you choose this package!
- World Class permit fishing
- ALL Inclusive
- Perfect for all levels
- Saltwater Grand Slam
- Authentic Meals